Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Chillin'


Got home yesterday to see my package from amazon had arrived. The two Jack Johnson DVD's I had ordered took less than a week to get here (surprising, given the last time I ordered a DVD from them, it took about four weeks!).

Being a fan of his music, but not of surfing in general, I was quite happy to find I enjoyed both films. While short, The September Sessions (~26mins) is quite well shot and gives you a nice warm feeling most 'extreme' sports films don't. Johnson's second offering Thicker than Water gives a longer run-time (~46mins). Twinned with the use of 16mm film and a slightly fleshed out message (read: plot) the film evokes the same sunny day feeling as his first.

The scores also please, being an affront to the typical mix of amateur speed metal and rap you find in most extreme sports flicks. The melow tones of Johnson, G-Love and some more traditional sounds (cringable when combined with Bundoran, Donegal but just as cliched as the trad stuff from the Pacific islands...) give a warm tone to the film.

All in all, a thoroughly chilled out evening yesterday...

...and that

No comments:

About this Blog
I'm currently playing around with the Layout for my site so if there are any glitches or weird bugs please bear with me. I'm slowly but surely cannibalising someone elses work and making it my own. Going from spiderman to something else altogether hopefully. Any comments please email me: nocent -at- gmail.com
I'm a fightin', f*ckin, pinchin', robbin', stealin', fleecin', eatin', drinkin' man.