Ryan's Rules #40: If you are replacing something you usually wouldn't, bring it with you
The bulb in the wax burner in the hallway gave up the ghost the other day. I quickly popped the burner open (with the wax cool of course, you only make that mistake once…) and took a look at the bulb. Screw fit, 15W, no code like G4 or 9 or whatever but I thought, "Easy, I know what this looks like." I drove around the corner to my local hardware shop, and made a beeline to where they had the bulbs. A pile of boxes on a forgotten shelf in the corner past the white goods. Forty nearly identical bulbs in boxes. I picked the one that looked most like what I had taken out of the burner just minutes ago. I’ll admit, I guessed. I didn’t ask anyone in the shop for help. I knew what I was looking for. When I got home, guess what? It didn't fit. The screw part was right but I had remembered the shape of the bulb completely incorrectly.
I’m sure you have done this yourself. This must happen millions of times a day across the globe, with lightbulbs, washers, that one oddly-shaped screw for adjusting your cabinet hinge. Entirely avoidable with a pinch of common sense: bring the bloody thing with you.
It's tempting to dismiss this as obvious advice. It’s the sort of thing your dad used to sigh and say while rummaging through the bin for the old part he threw out. However, common sense isn’t common and it rarely shows up in the room at the same time as “most people.” Really though, the reason it deserves real attention is that it solves a problem that most of us blame on being tired or scatter-brained.
Think about it. You know your shoe size, your usual coffee order, your phone's storage capacity, because you interact with those categories constantly. I know what an M6 hex bolt with a 1.0mm thread pitch is, but do you? Does the guy in the shop? What’s the difference between a CR2032 and a CR2025 battery? If I say “a button battery” do you and I see the same thing? What about the things you aren’t familiar with and only replace every few years?
This is not a personal failing. We can make excuses to avoid admitting it. Or we can acknowledge that it's just how memory works. Specific, low-frequency details fade fast, and get replaced by vague approximations ("it’s a kind of a small silver yoke"). The part itself, though, never forgets. It doesn’t have to. It has the numbers stamped right on it, or a shape that instantly rules out the majority of the options on the shelf.
The cost of guessing wrong is more than just the wasted trip. It's the wasted time, money (if they won’t accept a return on the item) and a sneaky one is that it kills your momentum. The unimportant wax burner sits waiting for a bulb and takes up precious space in your head you could be using for other, more important tasks. The common sense of bringing the old part helps you bypass all of these pitfalls.
You don't need a framework for this rule. Next time you're about to replace something, familiar or not, just remember to bring it with you.
If it's too big to carry, photos are your backup. Get a few shots of the part itself, any serial numbers, and whatever identifying marks you can find. Put something for scale next to it too. Not a banana. A ruler or a notepad works fine.
And if you're still standing in the aisle unsure whether you've got the right thing, check the returns policy before you head back to the house. It won't guarantee you get it right, but it means a wrong guess only costs you a second trip, not a wasted tenner.
Bringing the old part isn't really a massive lifehack to be honest. But the part that failed is always going to be more reliable than your brain. Memory is not something we can just "get better at" for the most part. Remembering better is difficult, so remove the need to remember in the first place. The old bulb or screw in your pocket or a filter in your hand requires zero-effort.
I’m confident you’ll find this useful beyond hardware stores too. “Just remember it" is usually weaker than a reminder or something written down. The cost of the ten seconds that might take now could save you an entire afternoon later.
What's the worst "should have brought the part" story you've got? And how many trips to Screwfix did it take to get the right one? Drop it in the comments, I'd genuinely love to hear it.
No comments:
Post a Comment